Tuesday, October 28, 2008

You Might Be a Fastener Freak if...


My name is Andy Pels. I have been in the fastener distribution business since 1985. I might be like many of you. I didn't dream as a child of being in the fastener business, but here I am. And now it looks like I'm sticking around.
Yes - I am a fastener freak.

You might be a fastener freak if:
  • while you wait in an elevator, just by looking at the heads you identify the diameter, material and style of every fastener in the elevator, and you even think you know the lengths.
  • When you shop for an appliance you turn it upside down and/or look in the back of it to see what fasteners are used.
  • When you are in a stadium seat and look down at the ground, you don't care so much about the beer and soft drink residue, you just think to yourself, "Wow, four anchor bolts on this seat times 50,000. Nice."
  • It bugs you when you have to go to the hardware store to get a fastener, but while you're there you get mistaken for an employee and help 3 or 4 other people find what they're looking for.
  • You always have some kind of fastener sample on your desk - and in your pocket - and a cupholder in your car - and on your dresser...
  • It makes you twitch when somebody calls a bolt a nut, or vice versa.
  • You don't like that there is not a universally agreed upon explanation of the difference between a bolt and a screw (even though everybody in the industry thinks they know it).
  • You don't care that normal people around you think this is all weird.

Fastener Freaks - please add your own in the comments section. Subscribe to this blog and let's keep the conversation going!



1 comment:

  1. OMG-I thought I was the only one who thought that way. Now that I work for a weld-fastener manufacturer, I look to see where our products are used. I have gone to hardware stores and helped out people, including the vendors who are putting up the fastener inventory.

    ReplyDelete